My cousin has a memory of me that she says she will never forget. I don’t remember it at all. Then again, I was probably 2 or 3 at the time and she was in college.
The story goes…It was summer and we were spending the day with my aunt at her beach cottage, like we did everyday while they were visiting our little Amelia Island. We lived there. My mom and my aunt had bought Popsicle as a treat for us kids, nine of us altogether, to eat.
Apparently, I wasn’t given the color popsicle I wanted and pitched a little toddler temper tantrum. My cousin remembers me laying (or is it lying? which ever…anyhoot) on the beach waving my arms and kicking my feet, throwing sand everywhere, with alligator tears in my eyes. She said both my mom and my aunt just looked at me and walked away. I may not remember any of this, but I’m pretty sure of the look she was talking about. You know…that mom look that says you’re dead in the next 10 seconds if you don’t stop. Not sure what happened after that, but this story has taught me a lesson many a times!
What does that have to do with redecorating? Recently, I haven’t gotten the color popsicle I want and I am pitching my little fit. Just in a more “mature” way. In other words, my funds for redecorating have run out (I budget for redecorating) and I can’t do what I want. I’ve been pouting about it all July.
So, I complained to God about it. You know what He told me?
Try a different flavor.
He was telling me that there is plenty to do around here to prepare for when I do get the funds again and to do those things.
A different flavor, huh?
I sat down and came up with a list of different flavors. (I’m sure some of you already have come up with some of these, but I also know there are some of you that are as frustrated as I am with your finances right now and just need an extra boost.) Here they are.
- Clean out and reorganize the baking cabinet. I noticed how awful it was when I painted the kitchen. I really just need to do them all!
- Clean out and reorganize the laundry room.
- Take down the wallpaper in the room I want to paint
- Wipe down the walls. A good wall cleaning will do wonders for the room.
- Clean the carpets. (Probably my least favorite flavor!)
- Clean out and organize the bathroom cabinets
- The hall closet needs a good cleaning out and organizing as well
- While I’m cleaning out stuff, get it ready for a yard sale and make a little extra decorating money. (Tied for least favorite.)
- Does the fridge and oven need cleaning? Sadly, yes! Along with the freezer. Oh joy :/ (my new least favorite!)
- Spend some extra time in God’s word and delight in Him.
- Shop my house and change a few thing around. I could redo the mantle or some vignettes
- Swap pictures around the house. It’s amazing how just changing a few pictures can give the room a whole new feel.
- Rearrange the furniture
- Swap out pillows on couches and beds. Wait…I need to make some first.
- Change bed coverings.
- Prepare a piece of furniture to be repainted while you wait to get the paint.
- Use any leftover paint to repaint a small piece of furniture.
- Have any scraps of wood? Build a small shelf then use leftover paint to paint it!
- Rearrange things on shelves. You’ve been looking at the same thing for years!
- The porch furniture needs cleaning. So do the posts. Oh, and there are 2 big spider webs that need to come down.
- The porch roof is also looking not so good. A little Clorox should help with that!
I think that list should keep me busy for a while. They aren’t really the flavor I would choose, but they aren’t bad tasting and will help me to feel like I have accomplished something.
What do you do when you can’t do what you want to do? Me? I’m off to do the baking cabinet in the kitchen!