I miss my bread machine. I could put all the ingredients into the pan and set a delayed timer and wake up to warm, fresh bread. The favorite recipe by far was the I got many good years and loaves of bread from it. It finally wore out last year.
I have been making other home-made breads so I thought I could figure out how to make our beloved cinnamon bread without the machine. It turned out pretty good. Here’s how I did it. You will need about 3 hours from start to finish.
Ingredients for 11/2 pound loaf (in parentheses for 2 pound loaf)
- 1 package dry yeast (same)
- 1 cup lukewarm water; 80F-90 F (1 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (2 tsp)
- 2 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp packed brown sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp butter softened (same)
- 3 cups bread flour,divided (4 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp dry milk (1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp cinnamon ( 2 tsp)
- 1/2 cup raisin (2/3 cup) optional
- 1/2 cup walnuts (2/3 cup) optional
To make the bread…
Add salt, brown sugar, dry milk, cinnamon and 1 cup flour.
Beat with mixer for 3 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface knead the dough for 6 minutes. To knead means to press the dough with the heel of your hand, turn the dough 1/4 of a turn then press again. Keep doing this for 6 minutes. Using a timer is helpful.
Place in 375F oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.