I have to admit, I’m not really into art. I don’t have that many pictures in my house. Six to be exact. Three came from Home Interior, which I paid a pretty penny for,and three from Wal-Mart for $1.
I really needed some art work for the boys’ room.
I have an old calendar that I liked the pictures in and have thought about turning them into pictures for my house. The only problem with that is they are an odd size and Wal-Mart doesn’t sell odd size frames. I don’t want to pay for expensive frames for pictures that I got from a $1 calendar.
Here is my solution.
- Calendar pictures (or pictures from magazines, books, etc.)
- Foam board
- Mod Podge
- Paint brush
- X Acto Knife
- Saw-tooth Picture Hanger (not shown)
Putting It All Together
I do apologize that I didn’t get pictures of the first couple of steps.
1) Carefully tear or cut the picture from the calendar.
2) Measure the picture to see how large to make the foam board. My pictures measured 12 x 11. I wanted the foam board to be 1/2 inch smaller on each side. My foam board was cut to be 11 x 10.
3) Measure from the edge of the foam board and mark.
4) Draw the line you need to cut.
5) Using an X Acto knife, carefully cut the foam board to size.
10) Flip the picture and frame over. Fold back the picture to where you have glued it. Paint another strip and lay a little more of the picture down, smoothing it out as you go. Continue doing this until the whole picture glued down.
14) To get pretty corners, fold the corners of the picture in.
A couple of problems I ran into:
The first two pictures I did (the ones on top) I painted the whole back of the picture with Mod Podge, then put the foam board down. That caused the picture to have too many wrinkles and it caused the foam board to curl. You can see the curling pretty good in the top, left picture.
I have some bubbles where I didn’t apply enough Mod Podge and the picture didn’t stick very well. I will have to find a way to get the bubbles out.
I think I need to go back and get the top two pictures more in line. That will drive MM crazy!
Here is a close up of the pictures.
I have a couple of more pictures I would like to add, but I will have to wait until November to do them. They are in the calendar I am using now. I may put them over the dresser.
Soon, I will show you the whole room makeover! I have a couple of more things to do first!